Friday, February 8, 2013

The Grey Dog in NYC

My friend Niki was in town visiting me from Chicago this last week. We had lunch at "The Grey Dog", at the Chelsea location.

As a vegan I always get the questions about wether or not I can eat at certain places. I never make dining out an issue. I feel so awful when someone I am about to eat out with does, at every turn they are like "oh, you can't eat there". More often than not there is at least ONE thing on any menu I can enjoy. Actually, being a vegan has made eating out much easier than it used to be, now, at a non vegan establishment I am faced with usually only a few items to choose from, and I honestly love that.

While looking at the menu at "The Grey Dog" I was a little overwhelmed and concerned there actually wasn't anything on it besides the fresh fruit that I could enjoy! Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of choices with which I could make special request to make the item vegan but I felt the items on this menu were so specifically crafted, I hated to ask to have anything too specially made.

When my turn came to order I asked the friendly employee at the counter for Vegan advice. She suggested #10, The Hummus with Swiss, Avocado, Plum Tomato, Pepperoncini & Lettuce on Toast...hold the swiss. Heaven! I had overlooked it and was very pleased with the suggestion. Next she asked me what kind of bread I would like, this posed yet another dilemma...they had at least 8 breads to choose from! She was on it before I asked with recipe cards in hand finding out what breads they had without egg in the ingredients....Rye it was.
I highly recommend this place to anyone who just plane and simple loves food, vegan or not! This was the second time I visited and each experience was a wonderful one. Thank you to my friend Kelly for introducing me to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment